Wednesday 19 January 2011

[Update] J. Reyez’s new track, “Maybe One Day”, has this author seeing red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1WbnSywJoIendofvid

[starttext]


Guest-featuring Jay Park, everyone’s been raving about how delicious the new track is, how (like his video) it’s hot like fire.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree. In a very big way.

I listened to the first couple of bars, was intrigued by the build-up, and then promptly rage-quit the track 35 seconds in. The reason being was that I was so offended by a particular line that I could not fathom how the track could get any better.

J. Reyez boasts, “My name is J-Reyez, yup, the Korean guy // I represent the Asians, we all chinky-eyed.”

Seriously?

We all hate it when people of other cultures refer to us as ‘chinky-eyed’, or when they assume that we’re all Chinese and so greet us with “Ni hao“, or some ridiculous singsong nonsense.

So why would we ever introduce those words, that slur, into our music? Why would we give others the impression that it’s okay to refer to people of Asian descent as ‘chinky-eyed’ because an Asian hip hop artist made it seem like it was acceptable?

It’s straight-up ignorance. And honestly, even if the rest of the track was spectacular in its verbal eloquence, those lines were intellectually cheap, degrading, and full of self-loathing.

I don’t care to be represented by anyone who sees degradation as a source of personal hype. I know that we’re in an era now that seeks to reclaim certain words, but some words, some descriptions, should just stay buried.

I’m not hating on J. Reyez, I’m just disappointed with his decision to include those lyrics into his work. With that said, I know every artist has the one bad track, and I’m sincerely hoping that whatever J. Reyez releases in the future will be something that will truly allow his talents to shine.

Maybe one day, but not today.

Check out the video below.



source: allkpop [endtext]

No comments:

Post a Comment